Winter home security tips
As the clocks go back on the weekend, we thought we would share some home security tips!
With winter and the darker nights well on their way! It's the perfect time of year for burglars to take advantage of unoccupied dark houses.
Last year there was a 35% increase in Halifax Home Insurance claims for forced burglary in darker months versus lighter months.
Below are some simple tips for homeowners to protect their properties during the darker winter months.
1. Cut back overgrown hedges, bushes and trees. These are great hiding places for burglars.
2. Consider outdoor security lighting and install a CCTV system. You can purchase cameras that enable you to monitor your property while you’re away via your phone.
3. When the property is empty leave a light on. Purchase timer lights or plugs that you can control remotely.
4. Create some noise in the property by leaving the radio/television on, this will give the impression that someone is home.
5. A gravel driveway is a great deterrent as the noise will alert homeowners.
6. Make sure all doors and windows are locked, especially at night, and when you are away from your home. Also, make sure anything of value is not openly on display.
7. Think about investing in a burglar alarm. It will help keep your home safe, discourage burglars from entering your property, and could make your home insurance cost less.
We hope these tips will help to keep you and your home safe.
If you are looking for further property advice, do feel free to get in touch with us here.